August 2013 Monthly Newsletter – What’s New at MicroBiz
New Release of MicroBiz for Windows – Version 15.3
We are happy to announce that our newest release of MicroBiz for Windows, version 15.3, is in the final stages of testing and will be available in mid-August. This is an upgrade to version 15.2 which we released March 2013. New features in this release include:
The closeout process will now let you retry a closeout if there was a printing or computer issue during the closeout process. While the closeout is running, invoices are synchronized with the database so you are sure to get accurate closeout information.
Once upgraded to 15.3, all your future installs will be managed by a new installer package. The new installer automatically detects if the install needs to be made on the server or client. The new installer also allows for the installation in subdirectories and speeds the overall install process.
Tender type options are more flexible, simpler to use and more powerful. For each tender type, there is an option to enable/disable, require customer, open drawer and require a signature. There are also two additional tender types, providing even more flexibility in the tender process.
Coin Rounding (for Canadian Customers)
Canada recently discontinued its penny coin. Consequently, Canadian retailers now need to round their transactions at the point of sale. With version 15.3, MicroBiz can be set to automatically round cash transactions to the nickel– rather than having the employees round the transactions manually. Cash rounding can be disabled on the fly, if exact change is available. MicroBiz also reports on this rounded cash to help keep your financial records accurate and actionable. This coin rounding is variable, and as such will be useful in places other than Canada.
Other fixes and upgrades in version 15.3 include:
1. Allow any vertical on any licensed keyblock
2. Registry holds paths, install versions, install dates
3. Tender options are now far more flexible without sacrificing simplicity
4. Additional Custom Tenders
5. Electronic signature capture using Magtek’s “IPAD SC” on any tender type
6. Variable Coin Deprecation
7. Simple Closeout failure recovery
8. Automatic invoice recovery (synchronization)
9. Option for use new updated user interface without losing title bar and taskbar
10. Return to Credit Card is more intuitive than in 15.2
11. Improved transaction setting organization
1. Promotions – Customer / product load order is no longer significant
2. Promotions now function even without consolidating SKUs
3. Store State and Zip Code now appear on purchase orders
4. Improved transaction setting organization
5. Resolved Closeout Process sporadic issue involving “Apply to Account”
6. Correct keyblock driver included with installer
7. ‘Copy’ button in ‘Store Name / Ship to Data’ now also copies ‘State’ and ‘Zip’ fields
8. Credit Card info now prints consistently after switching invoice types
9. Deposit refunds no longer add tax
10. Data paths including spaces no longer cause issues in Query Manager
MicroBiz Tip of the Month: Don’t Forget About Online Resources Available
Our website, www.microbiz.com, includes many customer resources (system requirements, downloads, supported hardware, etc.) enabling you to find answers for many questions that you may have on MicroBiz.
One of the most useful resources for current customers is the MicroBiz for Windows online knowledge base. The online knowledge base allows you to browse the links to review common issues, frequently asked questions and topics by category. You can also use keywords to search the entire knowledge base for a specific issue. To access the online trouble ticket portal, click on the ‘Support’ tab, select ‘MicroBiz for Windows’ and ‘Knowledge Base’. There is also a link located at the lower right corner of the www.microbiz.com landing page.
50 Business Directories for Local Marketing
As a local business, attracting new customers can be a major challenge. Quickly disappearing are the days when people go to the Yellow Pages to find local businesses. Today, people are turning to the internet as a way to find trusted business recommendations. One way local businesses can get found is through inclusion in online directories. Adding a listing to these online directories is easy, but if you only list in a few, you’re really missing a huge opportunity to get found by online searchers. Every individual directory that you submit to is another chance to get found online, so it’s important to make sure you’re listed in every directory possible. We have compiled a list of many popular local directories available on the internet.
5. Merchant Circle
26. Discover our Town
28. EZ Local
37. Local Site Submit
41. Yellow Assistance
42. Get Fave
42. My Huckleberry
46. Magic Yellow
49. Navteq GPS
50. Judy’s Book
Making sure that you have a presence everywhere your potential customers might find you is critical to any local marketing plan. Don’t wait! Add your local business to these directories today!
Upgrade to Version 15 to Avoid Issues with Windows 8 Hardware
Only MicroBiz for Windows version 15 is certified to be issue free with the Windows 8 operating system. So, if you are running the latest version of MicroBiz, you may upgrade your Windows POS hardware with confidence. Please note that your POS peripherals must also have Windows 8 drivers installed to ensure a successful upgrade.